Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Online newspaper articles and for-profit education

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis Holtzclaw
New  Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Online newspaper articles and for-profit education Reply with quote

Would it be considered copyright infringement if I were to use articles from online newspapers on a for-profit Business English website?

Details:
(1) Article taken from an online newspaper (CNN, etc.) turned into a mini-English lesson by me.

(2) The article would have full reference and a link to the original.

(3) Site users would pay a monthly fee to view these mini-lessons and read the articles.

Would such an action be liable for copyright infringment?

Thanks for your time and comments.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Travis,
I'm afraid the answer is almost certainly that this use would infringe copyright. There have been a number of high profile cases recently in which the courts (both here in the UK and the Court of Justice of the European Union) have found that quoting fairly small extracts from news stories, including the headlines, without permission, can infringe.
These decisions were in the context of news aggregators or 'scrapers' providing synopses and links to stories of interest to their clients, but given the close similarity between that use and your proposal I think you would run into similar difficulties.
I say this despite the fact that you propose to do this for educational purposes and normally such activity is permitted under Section 32 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988. The difference is that you would be doing this for commercial purposes, and so Section 32 could not be claimed as a defence. Of course it could be argued that most tertiary eduaction is now done on a commercial basis, but as yet the courts haven't been asked to rule on this aspect. And secondly, the newspaper industry (including their web offshoots) have shown themselves to be keen to protect their rights.
I suggest you could discuss the idea of obtaining a licence to use content from the Newspaper Licensing Agency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: