Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Using Album Artwork on a Website

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_Z
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Using Album Artwork on a Website Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm after some advice please if possible?

I'm looking to set up a Website that is going to be music based and was hoping people using the site could upload artwork from albums/singles.

It's not going to be a review site so there will be no bad reviews about any of the music listed but I am hoping to become an affiliate for iTunes so will hopefully be making a small profit of any music listed.

Where do I stand with Copyright law if a low-res copy of the artwork is used. The only thing the site will be doing really is promoting the music for the artists.

Thanks in advance!!

Dan
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
Technically using images of album covers would infringe copyright, but I think that since, in practice, this is done so widely on fan sites, and sites actually selling physical media, as well as digital download sites you should probably be OK, especially if you stick to low resolution images, ie thumbnails. If in doubt you could contact the major record labels and get blanket permission, which shouldn't be too difficult since as you say you will be promoting the music you feature. As an added precaution it might be worth putting a copyright acknowledge on your website.
Dan_Z
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ wrote:
Hi Dan,
Technically using images of album covers would infringe copyright, but I think that since, in practice, this is done so widely on fan sites, and sites actually selling physical media, as well as digital download sites you should probably be OK, especially if you stick to low resolution images, ie thumbnails. If in doubt you could contact the major record labels and get blanket permission, which shouldn't be too difficult since as you say you will be promoting the music you feature. As an added precaution it might be worth putting a copyright acknowledge on your website.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll look into contacting the major labels.

I doubt they'll be too bothered for such a small site but you never know, we could end up being the next Facebook Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: