Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Copyright Advice

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbiez
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Copyright Advice Reply with quote

Hi

I don't know enough about copyright laws and would be grateful of any help or advice.

Scenario:

I run a shop that offers a canvas printing service.

If a customer brings a photograph in that appears to be a professional photograph but has no copyright notice or reference to any photographer on it should I refuse to do the work because it may be copywritten??

I realise the photograph is copywritten by someone but if the photographer has not protected his work by making it clear who owns the copyright it would be very difficult for me to ask for permission.

If I ask the customer if they have asked for permission from the copyright owner they will of course say they have permission and sign a disclaimer.

Could I still be prosecuted for reproducing a photograph that doesn't have a copyright notice or photographers name on it??

Thanks In Advance
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky... Not an area I have many dealings in I'm afraid.

I would say that if the photo is clearly a professional one, you should ask to see written permission from the photographer before you reproduce it.

If it is not clear cut, I think you are correct in asking the customer signs a disclaimer - this should state that the customer warrants that they have the right to reproduce the image, and they are liable for any resulting violation of copyright action taken by any third party.

There is always going to be some level of risk, but if you can demonstrate that you acted in good fair, I cannot see how any court would see it as reasonable to hold you liable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: