Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Are Grand Prix circuits copyrighted?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistamerlin
New  Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Are Grand Prix circuits copyrighted? Reply with quote

I have been looking everywhere and I can't seem to find out if Grand Prix circuits and their names are copyrighted in any way. I know that F1 is a brand and everything F1 is copyrighted but the circuits themselves are not part of the F1 brand. I would like to use the circuit layouts and names for a game I am developing. Anyone have any idea if this is ok?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mistamerlin,
Generally, copyright is there to protect artistic, literary and musical works of a creative nature, not practical utilitarian things, so that basis I can see no way in which it could be argued that the design of a race track (basically a 'road') would be covered by copyright. The nearest parallel would be a work of architecture (for instance, a building) where the plans and drawings etc are protected by copyright but the building itself is in the public domain literally and metaphorically and can be photographed or sketched without any problems.
Furthermore, names cannot be subject to copyright because they are treated as facts, not something creative.
But as you seem to be aware, the F1 organisation (rather like the International Olympic Committee) is very brand aware and owns many trade marks associated with the sport, so you need to be careful not to infringe these. In other words you must take care not to imply that any game you produce is associated with or endorsed by F1 (some details are available here).
mistamerlin
New  Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks very much. I am being very careful with the many F1 trademarks Smile Bernie is not a man I want to mess with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: