Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Copyright of translations

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janinekiely
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Copyright of translations Reply with quote

I have written nursery rhymes in a foreign language based on traditional English language nursery rhymes. All the English language nursery rhymes are free from copywrite and in the public domain. I will then publish them in a book and record them on a CD will accompanying music.

In most cases the foreign version isn't a direct translation of the English nursery rhyme as some of verses and names change, but it will be instantly recognisable to the English speaker.

I understand the foreign version that I have created will be my copywrite. I want to offer a translation of our foreign version into English. I am concerned that when I translate my foreign version back into English my English translation may be similar to a derivative of the traditional nursery rhyme, which in turn someone else might have previously copywrited.

Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above, thanks.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janine,
I'm a bit confused by that fact that you say the English nursery rhymes on which you have based your foreign language versions are in the public domain, but you are concerned that if you translate your version back into English it may somehow infringe someone else's copyright in the original.
Most traditional nursery rhymes are in the public domain due to their age and the fact that the writers are unknown, so there is nobody to claim that a work has been infringed. Of course not all children's songs which might loosely be called nursery rhymes are in the public domain. For example the song The Wheels on the Bus appears to have no known author but if as Wikipedia says it first appeared in the mid twentieth century, the work is almost certainly subject to copyright unless the author died a decade or so before the song was published. Since we do not know who the author is/was it cannot be assumed that the work is in the public domain, and the rule is to count on 70 years from the date the work was made, or if this is not known, the date of first publication.
So returning to your question, the best way to ensure that your translations into English will not infringe copyright is to do a bit of research into each rhyme to establish that it is too old to be copyright, and then you should be fine to publish your version. If however, one of your translations is based on a song (like the Wheels on the Bus example) which seems to be in copyright, then you might need to be extra diligent in trying to track down the author. Only if this diligent search fails to turn up an author, can you be reasonably confident that you will not run into problems.
Don't get confused by copyright in a book which collects together a set of traditional songs and any copyright in the actual songs. Most books will have a copyright notice in them but a little research should soon reveal whether the songs themselves are also copyright. This is somewhat akin to an artist painting a picture of a famous scene, say St Paul's Cathedral in London. The artist may claim copyright in his original work, but this does not prevent another artist coming along and also doing a painting of St Paul's, which will also gain copyright as a separate original work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: