Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Who owns this recording?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Music Copyright

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mars
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Who owns this recording? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I wonder if you could help me with a little copyright advice.

I put on a gig last year that I invited a friend to record with a view to releasing the recording as a promotional CD for the series of gigs we are running. My friend agreed to record the gig and I agreed that he could advertise at the gig as payment. I cleared it with all the bands who were playing and have got there blessing to do whatever we want with the recording.

Unfortunately my friend and I disagree who owns the recordings. As far as I am concerned, I paid for the recordings by allowing him to advertise so under UK law I own the recording but he disagrees and thinks that he owns the recordings. Obviously we are still friends at the end of the day but I'd like to get my facts straight before I push the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheer.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mars,
Section 9 (2)(aa) of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 says:
Quote:
9 Authorship of work.

(1) In this Part “author”, in relation to a work, means the person who creates it.
(2) That person shall be taken to be—
(aa) in the case of a sound recording, the producer; ...

Section 178 then goes on to define producer as follows:
Quote:
“producer”, in relation to a sound recording or a film, means the person by whom the arrangements necessary for the making of the sound recording or film are undertaken;

So according to that definition I think you can be said to be the producer and thus the owner of the copyright. It doesn't really matter if your friend was paid in money or in kind, or indeed at all.
If he had approached you and asked if he could make the recording and he had contacted all the bands to get their permission etc, then he would most likely have been the producer.
I hope this helps to settle the argument. Next time it might be a good idea to put these things on paper beforehand so there is no doubt.
mars
New  Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply, it will certainly help to be able to pinpoint the relevant parts of the Copyright Act. It always feels a bit weird asking friends to sign contracts but it really would have saved a lot of issues!

Thanks again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Music Copyright All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: