Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Confused

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

Hi there everybody.

I hope that someone out there can help me. Of all the sites I have visited this one seems the best by far, I hope you can help me. I am in the process of writing a book, concerning life in the UK at the present time, it is factual and in no way tells a story, more a reflection of what this country means to me. How do I, or rather can I apply for a worldwide copyright when the book is of a factual nature. It seems to be a minefield and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance
Tony Confused
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony

Good news... you will have worldwide copyright on the book you have written. Copyright is an automatic international right of the author. You don't 'apply' for it - you already have it.

Fortunately, all countries have a concept of copyright, and virtually all have signed up to the Berne Convention which provides a common framework of protection across the world. Check our our page on the Berne Convention for more info.

If you are concerned about protecting your work - i.e. in case someone else claims it as their own, you can always register it - That way you have independent proof of your claim. Check out the UKCS they provide an international registration from as little as 35. There are a number of other agencies, but UKCS seem to be the most comprehensive - if you want to look around at others, I'd suggest you also read this recent article which will tell you what to look out for.

P.S. Thanks for your kind comments Smile
tony
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and many many thanks.

I was not sure about the best way to approach this and you have answered all of my questions, I shall go to the site you recommend and start from there, I would just like peace of mind for the future.

Once again many thanks.

Cheers Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: