Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Can I use images on BBC website on my own video online?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halie0201

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Can I use images on BBC website on my own video online? Reply with quote

I want to use some news images on my free video online to introduce Earthquake happened in China these years. Can I use images from Associated Press/BBC/CNN or some other big news website if I give proper credit? Is it fair use? Hope someone can help me!
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halie
No, you cannot use images such as the ones you describe without getting a licence. Photographs are specifically excluded from the fair dealing exception for news reporting:
Quote:
30 Criticism, review and news reporting.

(1) Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work or of a performance of a work, does not infringe any copyright in the work provided that it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement and provided that the work has been made available to the public.

(1A) For the purposes of subsection (1) a work has been made available to the public if it has been made available by any means, including—
    (a) the issue of copies to the public;

(b) making the work available by means of an electronic retrieval system;

(c) the rental or lending of copies of the work to the public;

(d) the performance, exhibition, playing or showing of the work in public;

(e) the communication to the public of the work,
but in determining generally for the purposes of that subsection whether a work has been made available to the public no account shall be taken of any unauthorised act.

(2) Fair dealing with a work (other than a photograph) for the purpose of reporting current events does not infringe any copyright in the work provided that (subject to subsection (3)) it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement.

(3) No acknowledgement is required in connection with the reporting of current events by means of a sound recording, film or broadcast where this would be impossible for reasons of practicality or otherwise.

Section 30 Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

And coincidentally we have a very recent judgment from the High Court on the isssue of using 8-second-long video extracts from broadcasts, in which such extracts were found to be infringing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: