Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Can I use others' melody?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halie0201

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Can I use others' melody? Reply with quote

We are a small group of Christian. We wrote some lyrics for praising. We use the melody of some pop music and change the lyrics into ours. We just share these songs among my brothers and sisters and save these songs in our computers. We never make it public to people outside our church. Is it a copyright infringement to do so?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halie,

I think you have been around the forums here long enough that you know the answer. If you use a substantial part of an existing song which is in copyright (as virtually all 'pop' music is going to be) then that would amount to infringement whether it is done for private or public consumption. There is no special exception to copyright for religious use as there is for certain educational purposes.

The music of a song stands alone when it comes to copyright, so it doesn't matter that you have created new words. You really have two options: seek a licence to use the music, or write your own original music to go with your lyrics. If you do seek a licence then the main copyright collection societies have special categories of licence for religious and charitable purposes. I think your best bet is to speak to Christian Copyright Licensing International in the first instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: