Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Visualisation of short phrases from music and fiction

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsTwosheds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Visualisation of short phrases from music and fiction Reply with quote

Hi again guys

Sorry - I have another question, too, if I may, and one which I have been pondering over for some time. It is linked (loosely) to one posed on a recent link connected with the visualisation of music.

Whereas the original enquiry referred to an artist's own visual interpretation of a complete song, my query relates to specific short phrases and recognisable ideas in song lyrics, fiction, etc, the complete works of which are still in copyright - i.e., am I permitted to visualise and paint/draw/stitch a specific idea generated by someone else's creative or poetic use of words (e.g., 'A Beard of Stars', 'Time in a Bottle', or someone with 'kaleidoscope eyes') as part of a larger pictorial work of my own, without risking a metaphorical bop on the nose?

Would I be, technically, 'including the lyrics' of a song, even if my work is only a visual interpretation of a few distinctive interconnected words, completely divorced from the writer's original context or piece of work, and without reference to it (as a purely pictorial piece, I wouldn't be quoting lyrics or using associated text, although the actual words - which I wouldn't be using, of course - may be familiar to many). Hmmm.....

Sorry if this is such a muddle - hope that you can glean some meaning from it! Thank you again.

Best regards

Sally
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Sally,

Good to see you are keeping the forums alive!

I am pretty confident that the sort of visualisations you describe would not infringe any underlying copyright. It's the classic example of the idea and the expression, in which the former is not protected by copyright but the latter is (assuming that it's original).

You would be illustrating the idea but your form of expression would be utterly different to the lyricist's. Indeed many viewers might not make the connection at all.
MrsTwosheds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Andy

Yes, so sorry to keep bombarding you with stuff!

This one is good news indeed - will start work at once.

Thank you so much again for your assistance, your helpful answers and your unfailing good humour. Will try to avoid being a pain for a month or two now!

Best regards

Sally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: