Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Is it illegal to store movies in my own computer?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halie0201

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Is it illegal to store movies in my own computer? Reply with quote

A question has confused me for a while:

I have stored many movies on my computer, like "Star wars". Some of them are purchased from the store and some are copied from my friends. I just watched them myself and never upload them to somewhere online. If someone, like a policeman, checks my computer and found these movies, will I be asked to provide the proof that I own these movies legally? If I fail to prove these movies are purchased by me, is it possible for me to be fined?

I knew that it's not legal to download the pirate movies from the internet. But all the movies on my computers are purchased or copied directly from a DVD or USB, so there is no downloading. And I never shared them. Is it possible for me to be asked to provide a proof of my purchase history of these movies?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi halie,

Unfortunately any DVD which you have copied, whether it is one that you own personally or one belonging to a friend, would be an infringing copy. I doubt very much if the police would be interested, however, as unless there was evidence that you were doing something beyond keeping a copy for personal use, it would be a cvil matter, not a criminal one.

The government did propose and briefly introduced an exception to copyright for the purposes of 'format shifting' which would have covered you in the case of any DVDs which you owned, but this had to be withdrawn after a number of organisations representing the music industry successfully challenged the legality of the Regulations which introduced the exception. However as these Regulations made it clear, even if they had remained in force, they would not have permitted the copying of DVDs belonging to your friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: