Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Can I copy the animals moving in documentary ?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halie0201

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Can I copy the animals moving in documentary ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working on a cartoon and there will many scenes about animals, like a lion running and eating a zebra. The lions and zebras will be the models designed and built by ourselves. But for some move of animals, like running and hunting, I'd like to take some documentary for reference. I am thinking that, if I copy every move of the process of lions hunting a zebra, is this a copyright infringement? like this: https://youtu.be/KmR6gZDKic0 I cut the scenes from several videos here and going to copy the move of the animals. The background, animal models will be made by ourselves. I doubt the moves of these animals can be copyrighted.

Hope I make sense to you! Thanks.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halie,

The actual movements of the lion and the zebra are obviously natural phenomena and so are not protected by copyright. The videographer who made the film is entitled to copyright in his/her recording, including the choice of camera angle, filming position, editing, etc but not the actual animal movements which he/she did not create. Since it is only movements you wish to replicate in your cartoon, that will not infringe any copyright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: