Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Unable to locate the copyright holder!

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iris
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Unable to locate the copyright holder! Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a PhD student intending to publish a scholarly article that has been accepted by a famous journal in my field of research.
I wish to include in the article a map that I have adapted from an original map published in a book dating from 1968 (This was the book's second edition; the first one dates from 1891). The book's publisher (F. Cass) has since then been bought by the Taylor & Francis group, that is why I asked permission from the latter to publish the adapted map.
Taylor & Francis were unable to trace the work/copyright owner as belonging to them. They recommended me to use a copyright disclaimer and fully acknowledge the original publication.

Could you clarify what it means to use a copyright disclaimer?

I should perhaps add that the book's author died in 1953 (less than 70 years ago), and that he did not clearly identify any other author/creator with regards to the map (in the book's acknowledgments).

Thank you and best wishes,
Iris
Warlock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well disclaimer means a renouncement of rights or claim, so I imagine that the simply mean that when you write your copyright notice you explicitly state that this copied work is not your own and acknowledge the source.

I.e. copyright 2008 Iris, (except [name of copied content], originally published by F. Cass, owner unknown).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: