Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

George S Clason - The Richest man in babylon

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundeniro
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: George S Clason - The Richest man in babylon Reply with quote

Hi

i would really like to distribute the above title as an ebook (freely) to people I come across through my profession (financial adviser) who could really do with reading it.

It was originally published in 1926 and the author died in 1957 (acording to WIki)

Their appear to be two current publisher signet(part of penguin US) and BNpublishing.

There are also some people distributing the book online claiming it is no longer copyright protected.

On questioning they claim it was not renewed?

I have found a reference in Us copyright office online to it being renewed in 1955 by george clason and clyde clason.

I really do not want to distribute this manuscript illegally and would therefore really appreciate some help from somene who knows what they are doing? As I certainly don't if it matters I am in the UK

Thanks In Advance
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, I believe that (under UK law at least), this work would still be subject to copyright.

As a quick reference on these matters, I find that the following chart is a great help: http://www.museumscopyright.org.uk/private.pdf

If you want to distribute this work I suggest that you contact the current publisher(s) and ask how to obtain permission to do this (and what fees are attached). I would also urge you to notify the publishers of the people you have discovered distributing the work: Given the age of the work, it may be their use is legitimate, but it seems just as likely that this is an infringment and the copyright owner may wish to pursue this matter.
sundeniro
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed the publishers(multiple) but have not had any sort of response
Sammy
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that prior to 1995 the duration of copyright under UK law was life of the author plus 50 years. i.e. it expired in 2007. To me this means that the work IS in the public domain, (and the chart is wrong?).
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it may simply be that they can't be bothered to reply. I would persivere if this is importnat to you. You should not publish the work without permission.
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Duration clarification. Reply with quote

Re: Sammy's post above

The current duration of copyright in artistic work is life of the author plus a further 70 years.
You are correct that prior to 1995 the duration of copyright was the life of the author plus 50 years, but this does not mean that copyright has expired - it would have been extended when the 1995 regulations came into place.

Here are a couple of quotes that deal with this:

Quote:
Works made by UK artists who died between January 1 1945 and December 31 1995
Copyright in such works should have expired 50 years after the artist's death. For example, copyright of an artist who died in 1946 should expire on December 31 1996; similarly copyright of an artist who died in 1976 should expire on December 31 2026. However, under the new provisions, copyright in such works is extended to 70 years after the artist's death. That is to say: copyright of the artist who died in 1946 will now expire on December 31 2016 (not 1996); and copyright of the artist who died in 1976 will now expire on December 31 2046 (not 2026).
[source http://www.artquest.org.uk/artlaw/copyright/28916.htm]

Statutory Instrument 1995 No. 3297
Quote:

Transitional provisions have the following effect where the period of protection is increased:
—in relation to duration of copyright, in the case of works in which copyright subsists on 31st December 1995, the duration of copyright is extended from 1st January 1996; in the case of works in which copyright has expired in the United Kingdom before 1st July 1995, but which are protected on that date under the copyright legislation of any other State in the EEA, copyright will revive on 1st January 1996 and will then expire on a date 70 years after the author's death;
[source http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19953297_en_5.htm]

.. an easy mistake to make though Wink
sundeniro
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not actually that definitive though.

The author is not a UK Artist

And the second quote only applies if the work had copyright protection in another EEA state on the specified date.

Or am i reading it wrong
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. I see your point, but given that copyright protection would be automatic (thanks to international conventions), I would expect protection within at least one EEA State as being pretty much a certainty and therefore protection would have been extended in the UK.

I may be wrong in my interpretation - we are at the limits of my knowledge here Wink
kaushalgoyal
New  Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: George S Clason - The Richest man in babylon Reply with quote

sundeniro wrote:
Hi

i would really like to distribute the above title as an ebook (freely) to people I come across through my profession (financial adviser) who could really do with reading it.

It was originally published in 1926 and the author died in 1957 (acording to WIki)

Their appear to be two current publisher signet(part of penguin US) and BNpublishing.

There are also some people distributing the book online claiming it is no longer copyright protected.

I have found a reference in Us copyright office online to it being renewed in 1955 by george clason and clyde clason.

I really do not want to distribute this manuscript illegally and would therefore really appreciate some help from somene who knows what they are doing? As I certainly don't if it matters I am in the UK

Thanks In Advance
Quote:

I would request everyone if you can throw some light whether the book is in Public Domain or not? The book was first published in 1926.
kaushalgoyal
New  Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: George S Clason - The Richest man in babylon Reply with quote

kaushalgoyal wrote:
sundeniro wrote:
Hi

Thanks In Advance
Quote:

I would request everyone if you can throw some light whether the book is in Public Domain or not? The book was first published in 1926.

Hi again,
There are atleast 20 people who have posted the book in PDF form on the Net and distributing it Free.
mikeRisso
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: George S Clason - The Richest man in babylon Reply with quote

kaushalgoyal wrote:
kaushalgoyal wrote:
sundeniro wrote:
Hi

Thanks In Advance
Quote:

Hi again,
There are atleast 20 people who have posted the book in PDF form on the Net and distributing it Free.

On Behalf of Penguin Publishing and The families who still own the rights to this book...This Book is not in the Public Domain, please refain from any illegal generations of E-books or we will have to take legal action. I work daily on removing the distribution of the PDF's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: