Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

T-Shirt Slogan - Possible to claim royalties?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: T-Shirt Slogan - Possible to claim royalties? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new to this so apologise for the lack of knowledge but I cannot find anything on the internet to help me and therefore was wondering if anyone is kind enough to point me in the right direction...

I have thought of a slogan which I think would make a very popular kiddies T-shirt. Can I do the following?

1) check to see if it has already been copy-righted?
2) If not, copyright it?
3) claim royalties for anyone wanting to use it?

Thank you to anyone who could advise.

Bart
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrases and slogans are not really significant enough to be subject to copyright.

I believe you would be better off looking either trademarking and/or passing off legislation.

There's a pretty good factsheet on the UKCS site that explains this... Maybe worth a look:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18_copyright_names
Bart
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Thank you for your response.

If not possible to copyright the phrase for the reasons on your attachment, is it possible to patent the phrase being on a T-shirt? I remember hearing about a case where the guy who had created the pure-genius phrase had sued Guinness for using it on a T-shirt.

Is it possible to patent the phrase being on a T-shirt, i.e although anybody is allowed to use the phrase in written text etc, nobody is allowed to print a T-shirt with this phrase on it?

Bart
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per my previous post:
Quote:
I believe you would be better off looking either trademarking and/or passing off legislation.

I am not familiar with the case, but the Guiness example you give was almost certainly either a trademark infringement or trading off the Guiness brand (passing off). No more talk about patents please Wink

You may be able to apply for a trademark - a solicitor would be able to advise if your slogan is suitable and the following link http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm.htm will also help.
Bart
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: