Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Photocopied periodical being sold on eBay

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightFlyer
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Photocopied periodical being sold on eBay Reply with quote

Fellow forumers,

I am living in Australia so I was hoping someone from the UK would be able to help me with this issue.

A person in the UK has photocopied an entire periodical from 1969 and has tried to sell it on eBay. As I understand copyright law, you cannot copy an entire work without the publishers permission. Since the periodical was published in 1969, I am assuming here that it is still under copyright. Can someone in the UK please refer me to the exact copyright laws in your country so I can refer to this matter for future action.

Thanks.
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK legislation you want to refer to is called the 1988 Copyright Designs and Patents Act. The version I prefer is from the Jenkins website as it is updated whenever the act is ammended; as opposed to the official HMSO text which needs to be read whilst cross referencing against every statutory instrument since 1988, (not a fun job!).

If this is being sold on Ebay - I would suggest that you report this to Ebay - check out the 'VERO' infomation on the EBay site.
monitortheweb
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

As CopyrightAid mentioned, eBay have a specific programme available to rights owners that allows them to report infringing items.

You should register with eBay Australia's VeRO programme here:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/confidence/programs-vero.html

This will allow you to remove infringing items from any eBay site worldwide.

Let me know if you'd like any help with the above, I have several years of experience with VeRO on both sides of the fence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: