Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

what do we do, we have been robbed!!!!

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin wiggan
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: what do we do, we have been robbed!!!! Reply with quote

A certain university has used my partners photography for the front of its art and design prospectus with out even asking, these have been printed and are also online.

Whilst my partner has been credit for taking the photo there was no fee or discussion to say this was happening. When approached about it, they have just refferred to thier head of marketing saying he will be in touch. He has not.

What should we do next ?

justin

Mad Mad Mad Question Question Question
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first instance, send a cease and desist letter (if you think they will take you seriously). If you do not receive satisfaction (or if you wish to claim damages) go see a solicitor and start legal action.
justin wiggan
New  Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, sorru to be ignorant but i am new to this....what is a cease and desist letter and is there templates? will sending an invoice charging for the use work?

Justin
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cease and desist letter is basically where you notify the other party in writng of the dicovered infringement and ask them to remove all infringing materials withing a certain time (i.e. 14 days) and threaten legal actio if they do not comply.

In this case, it sounds like you want payment, so I would take this to a solicitor. That will also show that you mean business.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau / Business Advice Centre should be able to recommend a solicitor locally, and he/she will be able to advise you on the best action to take.
Normally this would start with a solictor's letter stating your demands, and if not met escalate to an injunction and/or county court hearing.

Don't stress though - once they see you mean business they will probably want to come to an amicable agreement.

mmmm... I wonder if the local newspaper would consider this newsworthy? That normally 'focuses' the mind. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: