Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Online Images - Copyright Question

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbob1208
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Online Images - Copyright Question Reply with quote

Hi,

Who owns the copyright of images that are available on the internet? Is it OK to use them because they have been put in to the public domain?

Example, I am writing a fashion article about a particular celebrity and their choice of fashion and style, which I am going to publish on my fashion blog. I have found a picture from the internet of this celebrity and that illustrates the fashion they wear.

Can I use this picture in my blog?

Thanks

Jimbob
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need permission, you cannot simply take content from other peoples sites and publish it on your own site (unless you want your site taken down by your ISP or end up in court).

Public domain has a very specific meaning in copyright terms -
Published on the Internet does NOT mean public domain.

Public domain means copyright has expired - i.e. the person that took the photo died more than 70 years ago. Everything else IS subject to copyright.

If you want to use someone else's work, contact the site owner publishing the material and ask who the copyright owner is and how to go about getting permission.
Bear in mind they don't have to give you permission and can demand any fee they feel is appropriate for the use of their work.

Better still, there are a whole host of sites (like http://www.istockphoto.com/) that provide stock photos under licence that you can use for a small fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: