Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Biographies

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacko
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Biographies Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm writing a book with sporting biographies as the theme. It is a different work to anything that has been done before but, part of the book involves the publication of dates and places of birth of the competitors.

There has been one other author who has collected and published this information but can that person hold copyright on the dates and places of birth of people when the information is held in the public domain i.e. Family Records Office?

Thanks for reading.
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would not hold copyright on the dates and places of birth, but they will hold copyright on the work that they created - particularly if they have had to compile the information themselves (not an issue if they are simply quoting a public list).
i.e. if you use the book as one of your sources to check facts you include this is fine, wholesale copying from the source material may be a different matter.
Jacko
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Biographies Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It's a lot clearer now.

I will be checking the dates and places of birth at the Family Records Centre but, would it be considered acceptable to use a small amount of the previously published information if I am unable to find what I am looking for i.e. Overseas competitors?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: