Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Copyright of first editions

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rufus
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Copyright of first editions Reply with quote

Hello,

Does the copyright expire on first editions sooner when subsequent editions are published?

At the moment, I'm particularly interested in the Cambridge Ancient History series, so can we use them as an example?

The first edition of vol. 8, for example, was published in 1930, and another edition (the second, I think) was published in 1989 - does this put the first edition into the public domain sooner than it would otherwise have been?

(I'm interested in the answer to this question generally, but a more specific question would be: Do you know if the first edition Cambridge Ancient Histories are in the public domain?)

Thank you.
CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference - if the pubication date is taken into account for the duration of copyright, it is from when the work was first published.

Assuming UK law - For a work of known authorship published in 1930, and assuming that the author did not die more than 20 years before publication (unlikely) then copyright will expire 70 years after the death of the author.

P.S. I cheated Smile - I used this a handy flow-chart http://www.museumscopyright.org.uk/private.pdf.
rufus
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply, and for the nifty flowchart.

Looks like I've got some time to wait before the first edition C.A.H. becomes public domain!

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: