Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Legal to Embed Video Content on Marketing Site?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicminer
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Legal to Embed Video Content on Marketing Site? Reply with quote

Dear forum,

I am creating a social network for the purposes of providing comprehensive information and social networking opportunities. The theme of the site will be environmental issues, e,g, climate change, global warming etc.

Additionally, in the future, I may begin acting as using affiliate marketing for various environmentally-friendly products that I will eventually begin to advertise on my site.

I am also considering creating a video information section in my network which will have a range of embedded videos from other websites in order to provide good background information on the main theme of my site.

Could anyone possibly tell me if this will cause problems for me once I start marketing products, since the sites I embed videos from may consider that I am making money indirectly from making use of their video content to make my website more attractive? Could anyone explain how a non-expert can navigate the various copyright laws in undertaking such a venture?

Many thanks.
Warlock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really just depends on what the copyright owner of the video footage allows you to do. In some cases footage you find on the internet may have a licence attached (i.e. you can use under certain conditions) if there is no such licence, or the licence does not allow what you want to do then you need permission.

I find that it is easier to understand copyright law if we remember that copyright is an asset (just like your car, house, mobile phone, etc.) - you wouldn't like someone to use you car without permission.
manicminer
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Warlock,

I find the hardest part is the "fuzziness" or abiguity of copyright infringement.

Even with "fair use", it seems that it is in some sense a calculated risk that you take.

With so many sites that provide "embed" links on their videos yet state in their terms and conditions that "framing" or "linking" needs permission, it is quite confusing? Why provide embed links and then expressly forbid using them without prior consent?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: