Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

attorney`s fees

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joselopez
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: attorney`s fees Reply with quote

If i get sued over copyright infringement and i win, do they have to pay my attorney`s fees?

thanks.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do no better than quote the Civil Procedure Rules 1998:

“If the Court decides to make an order about costs –
(a) the general rule is that the unsuccessful party will be ordered to pay the costs of the successful party; but
(b) the Court may make a different order.”

In other words, if you successfully defend an allegation of copyright infringement, and did nothing to bring it on yourself by your actions (or negligence) then you would normally expect your costs to be paid by the claimant.
Please be aware that the CPR 1998 only apply to courts in England and Wales, although the principle is largely similar in Scotland and the USA.. The fact that you used the word 'attorney' makes me suspect that you may talking about a jurisdiction other than England and Wales.
joselopez
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, am specially interested in the USA, however, with the internet going global, anything can be distributed around the world verry easily now.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jose,
I don't know enough about the detail of how the system on fees etc works in the US to be able to advise you, but there are plenty of websites and blogs run by US attornies who could probably advise you. Here are a couple of places you could try:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/web_resources/web_sites.html
http://williampatry.blogspot.com/
As you say, the fact that the internet crosses all international boundaries does widen the scope for a claimant to choose the jurisdiction in which to fight his case, although if the respondent is not a resident/citizen of the same jurisdiction and has no assets within that jurisdiction, a court there is pretty powerless to impose a settlement. Obviously there is no equivalent to extradiction for civil matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: