Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

who owns copyright of photo of my painting

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneonimouse
New  Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: who owns copyright of photo of my painting Reply with quote

Hi,

if I pay someone to take a photograph of my painting so I can have giclee prints from it made, who owns the copyright of the photograph?

some printing companies if the canvas painting is too big to have it scanned they will photograph it instead.

thanks in advance for any advice you can give on this. Smile
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photograph of your painting is a copy under the terms of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, and if it was done without your permission, it would be an infringement of your rights. But because the photographer is deemed to have exercised skill and creativity in taking the photograph, in most cases he will own the copyright in the photographic image. There are certain conditions, where for industrial purposes such as making lithographic plates for printing, no copyright exists in the intermediate materials which maybe created.
So in the situation that you mention, you would need to make sure that in commissioning the photographer you stipulate that you require the copyright in the photograph to be assigned to you (in writing), or at the very least, the photographer needs to provide you with an exclusive licence which prevents him or anyone else from using that image in any commercial manner, as clearly that would have implicatiions for your ability to exploit your rights in the original painting.
However, if you feel able to do the photography yourself or can give the task to someone who is employed by you and this work forms part of his job description, this would remove that problem.
anneonimouse
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank you for your fast reply,

I see,

so do you know if I pay someone say a professional photographer to take photos for me does that class as me employing them?

thanks Smile
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is just commissioning them.
For someone to be an employee (for the purposes of Section 11 (2)) they need to be on the payroll, with you paying NI contriutions etc.
"[Section 11] (2) Where a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or a film, is made by an employee in the course of his employment, his employer is the first owner of any copyright in the work subject to any agreement to the contrary."

Section 178: " “employed”, “employee”, “employer”, and “employment” refer to employment under a contract of service or of apprenticeship;"
anneonimouse
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah

ok,

thank you. I will see if they will write something then. can they charge me extra money to sign over the copyright do you know?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't need to be a formal contract (although you can download one from here: http://www.own-it.org/contracts/10 if you wish) but it should mention that is an agreement between you and the photographer to assign copyright in exchange for valuable consideration, to you in perpetuity. Both parties should sign the document.
Most professional photographers guard their copyright so this request may lead to an increased fee, but then on the other hand, it is an entirely reasonable thing to request since I would suggest these images would have very little commercial value if the photographer wanted to further exploit them. You also have the option of taking your business elsewhere if the photographer is unreasinable in his demands.
As I mentioned before, it is not essential that the copyright be assigned to you. A licence which gives you full use of the images for as long as you need would suffice, and this should come as part of the commission, so I would not expect an additional charge. A skeleton licence form can be downlaoded for free from the Association of Photographers website: http://home.the-aop.org/Downloads/p13_sectionid/2/p13_fileid/5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: