Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Using famous quote in my university art work

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missy_gilbert
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Using famous quote in my university art work Reply with quote

Please can somebody give advice to me with regard to copyright laws and infringement?
I am a university student in Suffolk, studying a BA (Hons) in Photography.
I created three photographic images with regard to emotional abuse within relationships.
In final mounting and presentation of the images, I wish to attach a quote underneath, from Jean-Paul Sartre....."Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.".....
Can anybody clarify whether it is ok for me to do this?
My work is not for commercial and I do not intend to try and sell it. It is purely for university course work use.

I've never used this forum before and hope that I will be able to work out where to view any replies!!!
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Missy,
Yes there's no problem with you quoting Jean-Paul Sartre in this way, so long as you credit him* and you don't quote the entire work (book, play, essay etc). This is called fair-dealing. And you are also protected by a different provision in the law because your work is for the purpose of education. Imagine how difficult it would be for students of english (or french) literature if they weren't allowed to quote from the books they were studying!
For a really professional look to your course work ask your tutor if the university has a preferred style for citations, for example using italic for the words quoted without quotation marks and then a dash and the author's name (and possibly the source work and date of publication), eg

Cogito ergo sum - René Descartes "Principia philosophiae" 1644

Good luck with your course.

* since you want to put the quote on a mounted photograph, space may be at a premium. If this is the case you do not have to include the credit. The law says "No acknowledgement is required in connection with fair dealing for the purposes mentioned in subsection (1) where this would be impossible for reasons of practicality or otherwise." A similar relaxation is available for work done for the purpose of instruction (education). However, universities are very hot on plagiarism, so it may be university policy that you cite all sources regardless of the law, so check with your tutor.
missy_gilbert
New  Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there AndyJ,

Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply.
You have helped me greatly with your response.
I had tried searching online, to see where I stood, but couldn't find a clear answer.
What would I ever have done without you?
Again, thank you so very, very much. You are an absolute star sir!!!
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: