Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Video copyright and Request to remove the video

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lele59
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Video copyright and Request to remove the video Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a video maker and my works are displayed in my company site.
3 years ago I have done a video, the shooting has been made inside a store - where a journalist of my company make an interview to the marketing manager of the company. The video is about 9 minutes and, as agreement, has been made for free. It has been for me a marketing operation.

These are the features I have studied for these kind of works:

- people talk directly to viewers, so they look inside the camera
- we do not use microphone
- background music

Because the friendship between us and the fact that at that time I did not know the appearance realeases matter, any piece of paper has been signed.

In the video, appears for, few seconds, the store manager too.

Everybody has been happy and for 3 years the video has been displayed on our site.

After this period the company fired the store manager. Because his appearance into the video they are requesting to remove the video; they also refuse any damage refound...

I always thought that, since I am the author of the video and because the particular format I have adopted, to be the owner of the copyrights.

Am I wrong? In any case I have to remove the video? Do I have any right?
I look forward for any help and suggestion.
Kind regards
lele59
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lele59,
Yes I think that in the circumstances you have described, you own the copyright to the video. The issue here seems to be about whether the store has any say over you using the video on your site for promotional reasons. This is not the same as copyright. I can understand why they would not wish the video to be identified with them if the manager shown in the video no longer works for them. Is there any way in which you can re-edit the video to either remove the manager or remove any references to the store's name, or would this obviously ruin the point of the video?
I think in strict legal terms you do not need to remove the video from your site because after 3 years that it has been there, the store now objects. But since this was a marketing venture, you may need to consider the store's point of view. If you would like to get further work from the company, clearly it would be better to agree to their request - that's just good business sense, not wishing to upset your clients. But if you do not expect them to use your services in the future, there is less risk in upsetting them. However, don't forget that they may be able to influence other potential clients - either positively or negatively - if someone sees the video on your site and then asks the store about your work.
AndyJ
lele59
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: VIDEO - YOUR OPINION Reply with quote

Hello Andy,

thanks a lot for your point of you...I'll let you know "the end"..
Kind regards
Lele59
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: