Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

"Editorial Use"

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersonictt
New  Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: "Editorial Use" Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I just have a question here:

If someone has an image name (as an example): 11ryr55dghbrt7q-getty-_ and it is written under it:
"RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo credit should read .... )"
Can I use this image on a website for only two days maximum or something like that?
I found a couple of images like this on Flickr published by someone and the License is: All Rights Reserved

Thank you
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi supersonictt,
I assume this is related to your previous queries over sports images and Getty. The reason these images are marked in this way is to comply with US law, or more specifically the law in certain US states, which provide greater protection to a person's personal rights concerning use of images of them. Briefly speaking these laws require photographers to obtain the permission (a 'release') of anyone featured in a picture, before publishing their image. There is an exception to this rule, and that is if the image is used for editorial purposes. So I would expect that the images you have seen are of celebrities who have not given permission for their images to be used, but which can nevertheless still be used in an editorial-only context.
None of this affects the need to pay for a licence from Getty or the photographer to use the images. That is what the "all rights reserved" bit means.
supersonictt
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ wrote:
Hi supersonictt,
I assume this is related to your previous queries over sports images and Getty. The reason these images are marked in this way is to comply with US law, or more specifically the law in certain US states, which provide greater protection to a person's personal rights concerning use of images of them. Briefly speaking these laws require photographers to obtain the permission (a 'release') of anyone featured in a picture, before publishing their image. There is an exception to this rule, and that is if the image is used for editorial purposes. So I would expect that the images you have seen are of celebrities who have not given permission for their images to be used, but which can nevertheless still be used in an editorial-only context.
None of this affects the need to pay for a licence from Getty or the photographer to use the images. That is what the "all rights reserved" bit means.

Thanks for the reply.

So in other words, I still "cannot" use these images until I get a permission from the photographer, am I right?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Ownership and Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: