Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Using images from Google colouring pages as for craft items.

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Using images from Google colouring pages as for craft items. Reply with quote

I am thinking of setting up a new craft business where I make pictures for childrens bedrooms using felt. Very Happy I have made several of these already but have only ever given them as gifts. Currently I have used Google colouring pages as my patterns, which I have just download from free websites but have used images such as Micky Mouse, R2D2, Club Penguin, Spiderman, Batman and other commercial characters. I believe that as I haven't made any profit and have given them as a gift and have only made one of each of these items I have not broken any Copyright laws. Nor have I stated that the images are mine only the finished article made from felt. (I hope Embarassed )

However I have just made a facebook page, at the moment just to get a feel to see if people would be interested in buying these pictures but to cover myself I have put a notice up saying that for the time being I won't be making commercial characters until I understand the Copyright laws and will only be doing things around hobbies and interests, ie a dancer, a karate person, a butterfly etc. Confused

What is the law for using a colouring page, especialyl commerical characters or tv characters, using it for my pattern and then selling the finish felt picture framed Question [/b]
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie,
I don't know exactly which colouring pages you are using, but if the sites are reputable, then they are probably providing the images of cartoon characters etc under licence from the rights owners, and colouring them in, or as in your case using another material to reproduce the images, should conform with the licence as long as it is for personal use. However I very much doubt if the licences would cover any kind of commercial exploitation. Any site where you download the free images should have some terms and conditions, or a page with the legal stuff on, and this should explain what can and can't be done with their images.
It just so happens that the rights to characters you mentioned are owned by some of the most litigious and brand savvy companies around (Disney Corporation, LucasFilm and DC Comics) so if you start selling your pictures featuring their trade marked characters you can expect a cease and desist letter quite quickly. By sticking to generic figures you should be safe, though, as I assume you don't want to get involved in licensing the TV and other characters at this stage.
Debbie
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I just type in to google, for example, Spider Man colouring and loads of pictures appear. Then print one off that doesn't appear to have copy right. But as I previously said the ones I have done so far have all been gifts and not sold or any profit made. But that is what I was wondering if I sold them in the future. I couldn't afford to take out any licencing at the moment as this would be a very low key business. I am struggling with the affects of a chronic illness and therefore can only make one picture once every couple of weeks or if feeling well once a week. It is more of a hobby rather than a business. Copyright is a very confusing business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: