Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

IOS Karaoke app - HOW TO Solve the Copyright problems

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Music Copyright

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demon50
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: IOS Karaoke app - HOW TO Solve the Copyright problems Reply with quote

May I request some advice please.

If We want to devleop an IOS Karaoke app, so, how we get a karaoke License? Please advise me in details.

Thanks for any advice.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Demon,
The people to speak to are PRSforMusic. They have special karaoke licences.
A lot will depend on where you intend to get your music tracks from, assuming you are not getting the music specially performed for your app. Once you have a source for the music, you should check with the supplier what licences they already hold and what licence you need from them concerning the performance of the music, as distinct from the copyright in the song itself.
Just for interest, PRSforMusic also do online music licences in case you are thinking of any other sort of music related apps.
typonaut
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little, for each territory that you want to sell the IOS app in you will need to deal with different collecting societies. So, PRSforMusic will fulfil your requirements in the UK, but if you are selling the app in the USA you will need to talk to a different agency.

I would imagine that the practicalities of building a karaoke app for IOS are similar to those for any karaoke implementation, or indeed for any game including music (eg Guitar Hero, etc)
Demon50
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AndyJ,
Thanks for your reply.
You mean we should to do this through Music PRS, but my boss not willing ....
Is there any way???

Thanks
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon50 wrote:
Hi AndyJ,
Thanks for your reply.
Is there any way???

Thanks

Hi Demon,
Bearing in mind that karaoke songs are other people's intellectual property, using them is always going to involve paying royalties (or otherwise you would be facing litigation for infringement), so as a relatively small company there is no real alternative to using the copyright collection society. If you were in the same league as Spotify or iTunes, you would be able to negotiate directly with the record labels.
typonaut
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon50 wrote:
Hi AndyJ,
Thanks for your reply.
Is there any way???

Use songs that are out of copyright protection. But I doubt that would prove to be a very popular karaoke implementation given that many of those songs would be approaching, or over, 100 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Music Copyright All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: