Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Can i use this name?

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ut23392
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Can i use this name? Reply with quote

Good morning.
i have this question.
I m opening a B&B in my town.
i would like to use this name to call my room but i don t know if i can or i can't.
the name are:

Sherlock Holmes
James Bond
Maigret
Poirot
Nero Wolf
Ellery Queen

Can you help me?
thank you
Mario
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario,
Copyright does not normally apply to names, mainly because they are too short and too 'factual' to qualify.
However there can be a problem if they are registered as trade marks, which is the case with the first four of the names on your list. But trade marks need to be registered for use with specific classes of goods or services, and fortunately none of those which are registered have been applied for in Class 43 which covers hotel accommodation etc, and so there is little chance that your use would amount to infringement of a trade mark.
Of course it depends where your B&B is. I have assumed it is in the UK. Trade marks are specifically protected in the countries where they are registered, and so as the marks Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Maigret and Poirot have been registered in the UK and the European Union, whatever protection they have here would not apply elsewhere unless they have also been registered locally.
There is one other category, known as passing off, which might need to be considered. But since all these names are well known literary characters, I don't think there could be any confusion about them being used as names of rooms somehow relating to either endorsements or services provided by the registered owners.
So I think you are completely free to use these names for the rooms in your B&B.
ut23392
New  Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks so much. The hotel will be in Arezzo Italy.
I appreciate your comment.
Mario

AndyJ wrote:
Hi Mario,
Copyright does not normally apply to names, mainly because they are too short and too 'factual' to qualify.
However there can be a problem if they are registered as trade marks, which is the case with the first four of the names on your list. But trade marks need to be registered for use with specific classes of goods or services, and fortunately none of those which are registered have been applied for in Class 43 which covers hotel accommodation etc, and so there is little chance that your use would amount to infringement of a trade mark.
Of course it depends where your B&B is. I have assumed it is in the UK. Trade marks are specifically protected in the countries where they are registered, and so as the marks Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Maigret and Poirot have been registered in the UK and the European Union, whatever protection they have here would not apply elsewhere unless they have also been registered locally.
There is one other category, known as passing off, which might need to be considered. But since all these names are well known literary characters, I don't think there could be any confusion about them being used as names of rooms somehow relating to either endorsements or services provided by the registered owners.
So I think you are completely free to use these names for the rooms in your B&B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: