Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Displaying posters in public spaces rather than just at home

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
museumvic
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Displaying posters in public spaces rather than just at home Reply with quote

Hi

I realise that this sounds like a stupid question, but when you buy an official licensed/copyrighted poster of an artwork from a museum or gallery (or even an exhibition poster) to frame and hang on your wall, is it okay to display it in a public building?

For instance, I bought a mass-produced poster as a visitor from an exhibition which has the owner/copyright holder info on it, and obviously part of the cost of the poster included the fee to the copyright holder.

Could I now put it on display in a gallery alongside other actual works of art by the same artist which I do have permission to display to show the breadth of their work? (It is a free-to-visit exhibition)

Thanks in advance for your guidance - copyright is a nightmare!

Vicky
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,
As you own the poster and you are not intending to copy it when you display it, that use is covered by the so-called exhaustion of rights doctrine, meaning that the copyright owner no longer has any distribution or publication rights over the work which you bought. What's more the UK IPO has recently issued guidance on this particular issue, clarifying that displaying a work in public as you have described, does not amount to an infringing act.
I hope this puts your mind at rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: