Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Use of JRR Tolkien Elvish Script and Images

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsTwosheds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Use of JRR Tolkien Elvish Script and Images Reply with quote

Hi Andy et al

Thanks to you guys, our exhibition passed successfully without even once raising a copyright issue! Thank you so much for your help with that.

Am returning to normal 'needlewoman' mode now and thought (as an old hippy) that I might start with a Lord of The Rings motif (which may or may not make it to public display, depending upon how well it turns out!).

However, I am very confused indeed about the enormous amount of graphic works in existence online - for a work which is, presumably, still within copyright, there are phenomenal amounts of Elvish Script and Tree of Gondor illustrations, tattoos, bags, sweaters, wall decals, T shirts, etc. Why is that?
Is it OK for me to do it, too? The script puzzles me very much, as there is no room for artistic interpretation here, so each depiction (by whatever medium) is exactly the same.

I know that you will know the answer to this. Is there something I've missed?

Very many thanks for your help.

Sally
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sally,

Glad to hear your exhibition passed off without incident!

I'm afraid that Tolkien and his books passed me by and so I am not au fait with the details of his works, such as Elvish script. However the following extract from the Wikipedia entry for The Lord of the Rings tells me virtually every thing I need to know about the intellectual property aspects:
Quote:
In 1969, Tolkien sold the merchandising rights to The Lord of The Rings (and The Hobbit) to United Artists under an agreement stipulating a lump sum payment of £10,000[93] plus a 7.5% royalty after costs, payable to Allen & Unwin and the author. In 1976, three years after the author's death, United Artists sold the rights to Saul Zaentz Company, who now trade as Tolkien Enterprises. Since then all "authorized" merchandise has been signed-off by Tolkien Enterprises, although the intellectual property rights of the specific likenesses of characters and other imagery from various adaptations is generally held by the adaptors. Outside any commercial exploitation from adaptations, from the late 1960s onwards there has been an increasing variety of original licensed merchandise, from posters and calendars created by illustrators such as Pauline Baynes and the Brothers Hildebrandt, to figurines and miniatures to computer, video, tabletop and role-playing games. Recent examples include the Spiel des Jahres award winning (for best use of literature in a game) board game The Lord of the Rings by Reiner Knizia and the Golden Joystick award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game, The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Turbine, Inc.

The fact that there is a company set up for the specific purpose of exploiting the Tolkien books etc means that anyone who attempts to exploit even some remote detail without permission can expect a lawyer's letter by the first post. This certainly happened to a pub in Hampshire.

On the specific subject of Elvish, there is no question that Tolkien created both the languages and the scripts, and since these are not conventional languages (in the sense they are in everyday use like English or French) there is no reason to assume that copyright does not exist for the languages and the lettering as literary and artistic works respectively. I am not clear about whether the few Elvish scripts which have been turned into typefaces (fonts) have been done with permission. If they have then using one of the typefaces does not amount to infringement of the artistic work which is to be found in the underlying designs. Typefaces occupy a strange world in which the designs are protected by copyright, but using the fonts themselves (either the old metal type or today's software-generated fonts) to print or render text does not infringe that copyright. It would infringe if a new typeface was created from a pre-existing face.

I'm not sure if I have really helped to clarify things in relation to your Lord of the Rings motif, as I am not clear what that is. If it is a specific graphic found in one the LotR books, I would suggest you don't use it commercially without getting permission.
MrsTwosheds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thank you, yes - all good on the exhibition front (hoorah)!

Ooh.....this is probably one to be avoided, I think. I may do something else in a similar vein and avoid Lord of The Rings altogether, as I can live without a solicitor's letter. I think that there are Elvish Script Generators online, but these are of limited use without anything to attach the script to, I guess.

Back to the drawing board with this one then. Thank you, as always, for your speedy and excellent answers to my queries (and for saving me from a life behind bars!).

Best regards

Sally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: