Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Pixabay

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumberjack
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Pixabay Reply with quote

I just came across Pixabay this evening:
https://pixabay.com/en/ship-passenger-ship-cruise-ship-392110/ Is it actually safe to use these images, or is there a catch somehwere?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lumberjack,

It appears to be genuine but if you read their terms you can see that, understandably, they provide no indemnity to users if any image they host turns out to be an infringing copy. And I think it is almost inevitable that some pirated images may slip through the net.

My advice would be to do a reverse image look-up using something like TinEye or Google image search to see if an image you want to use appears somewhere else with a copyright notice attached to it, or is attributed to a photographer who is a different person than the person who uploaded it to PixaBay, or worse still, the image appears on a picture agency website like Getty or Alamy. If you carry out due diligence, it may work in your favour should you later find that an image you use is not legitimately available under a CC0 licence. Remember to take a screenshot of the image as it appears on PixaBay as a record of the source and purported licence.
Lumberjack
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
I only found it last night, and it seemed almost too good to be true. I was only looking for one or two images. That is a brilliant idea of taking a screenshot, and also of making a back search.
Many thanks
Lumberjack
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined, and it seems OK, I can now download images from them, and check to see if they are elsewhere on the internet. Also took screenshots saying Public Domain, even for commercail use. Feeling that I should give something back, I uploaded three of my images for Public Domain use, but they were all rejected as insufficent technical quality, so that is the end of me sharing with them, as they were the best I can produce Embarassed May send them a donation instead! Cool
Here is one that was rejected!

Nick Cooper
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, small world! My maternal grandfather was transferred to the Framlington Court when this own ship, the Lavington Court (he was the 2nd Engineer), was torpedoed whilst in convoy (OS-34) in 1942.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Basics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: