Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Copyright on graffiti

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VibrationUK
New  Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Copyright on graffiti Reply with quote

I'd like to put together a book which includes about 20 years of my photography -- images of graffiti in public places.

These photographs were all taken of pieces of graffiti on the side of buildings, on the pavement, and in full public view.

So...is that okay?
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically all art is the copyright of the artist who created it, but graffitti is something of a special case. Unless the artist has permission to use the structure where he puts his graffitti, he is likely to be gulity of causing criminal damage if caught. This leads to two separate things. Firstly he is unlikely to claim an infringement of copyright because he would then open himself to a criminal charge, and even if he did want to take the copyright issue to court, it is highly likely that the court would throw out the case on the basis that no-one should be able to use the law to profit from an illegal act (the legal maxim is known as 'Non faciat malum, ut inde veniat bonum').
The fact that this art is on display in public places makes no difference to its copyright status.
Also, I suspect that part of the mentality of graffitti artists is that they want to gain fame or notiriety much like Banksy, and so will be more than happy to see their work published in a book.
So I think you are reletively safe to go ahead with your project. It could be argued that there are several grounds (criticism, review) for believing that a book of this sort would constitute fair dealing, which would not infringe copyright. Ordinarily this would require you to credit the artist in each case, but obviously that wouldn't be possible in the case of anonymous graffitti.
VibrationUK
New  Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cheers!
Weight off my mind!

Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Law All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: