Copyright Aid Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Main siteC A Main Site 

Commissioned painting....been reproduced

Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplehouse
New  Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Commissioned painting....been reproduced Reply with quote

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I commissioned a painting for my husband for a present (painting of our dogs) I have just found that the artist is selling prints of my painting!

Shouldn't the artist have asked my permission as it our painting?
Many thanks
Very Happy
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Purplehouse,
I'm afraid that the artist owns the copyright in the painting, despite being commissioned by you, and that allows him to sell copies etc of 'your' painting. If it had been a commission to make a photograph for private and domestic purposes (such as a portrait of you to give to your husband) you would have had some protection under Section 85 but that doesn't apply to paintings.
However I agree that, ethically speaking, he ought to have sought your permission. If he is a member of the Association of Animal Artists, you could try taking the matter up with them.
http://www.associationanimalartists.co.uk/
Sorry not to have had better news for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Copyright Aid Forum Index -> Copyright Infringement All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You must be logged in to post  Log inLog in
Want to join in? New members are always welcome  RegisterRegister & join the discussion

Jump to: