Page 1 of 1

Samples of music on a website

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:32 pm
by kj
Is there some kind of copyright-compliant mechanism where you can broadcast clips (i.e. less than, say 20 seconds) of a CD on a website to illustrate the variety of songs on the CD?

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 pm
by CopyrightAid
I presume that we are talking about other people's CD's and not songs you have written yourself?

My understanding is that you would need the permission of the copyright owner before you can legally do this. I.e. you would need to contact the relevant publisher to see if they will let you use their music.

The Copyright, Design and Patents Act, states
"Section 20: Infringement by communication to the public.
20.-(1) The communication to the public of the work is an act restricted by the copyright in -
(a) a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work,
(b) a sound recording or film, or
(c) a broadcast. "


Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am
by Sherif
I wonder how sites like Amazon have samples to download?
I guess they have licences with all the major labels. But then again, I bet publishers are falling over themselves to let them do it, as it's advertising their product.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:36 am
by connor
On a related note - what is the current standing on "demo" mixes.

As a DJ, I have quite a few mixes online for promotional purposes only - I do not intend to make any money from any means on these mixes. Am I breaking the law for hosting these on my site?

If anyone could elaborate in detail on this I would be grateful.



Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:01 am
by CopyrightAid
If these 'mixes' contain other peoples music you would need their permission to publish them (putting them on your website is publishing - whether it's a 'demo' or not).

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:56 pm
by connor
Ok I am working with this - If I intend to get people to get labels to endorse the site and in return they can target those DJs who use their tracks, how would I go about get a licensing agreement drafted for record labels to give me permission to host mixes that include their tracks!

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 am
by CopyrightAid
Honestly... It's not something I've ever done or been involved with.

I would guess that you would start by going to the record companies and discussing your proposition with them. There's a fair chance that they will already have licensing agreements that they use in such situations anyway.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:56 pm
by Pete
MCPS can grant you a licence for up to 250 30" clips. This costs £60 per year.

This is for the compositions, unfortunately there is not yet a PPL licence to use the recordings. (Maybe in a months time they say)

Sorry I can't give the website address, I'm not allowed to on this forum, but MCPS and PPL are quite helpful on the phone.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm
by CopyrightAid
'Sorry I can't give the website address, I'm not allowed to on this forum'
2 more posts and you can Pete. :)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:18 pm
by Pete
CopyrightAid wrote:
'Sorry I can't give the website address, I'm not allowed to on this forum'
2 more posts and you can Pete. :)
1 more to go :P