Page 1 of 1

Vinyl re-issues/pressing

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:37 pm
by Nosdivadnivek

I am looking at starting a new business re issuing vinyl and pressing albums for the first time in the UK. It will be in small amounts to start with so after browsing the PRS website it looks like a limited manufacture license would be required for each title. Is this is all that is required to begin production? Do I need any further permission from the label etc for reproducing the album and for the cover art?


Re: Vinyl re-issues/pressing

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:13 am
by AndyJ
Hi Nosdivadnivek,

Yes, you will require permission from the record label to reproduce the album covers including the artwork. I'm not clear which PRS/MCPS licence(s) you are thinking about using, but you need to be sure it covers the rights of the composers, song writers, performers and record producers of the original album. As far as I am aware there is no single licence which covers all these areas. Music rights are very complicated and so if you intend doing this as business, I suggest you get some proper legal advice from a lawyer who specialises in this area before making any financial commitment.
You can find out a lot more about the whole process on this excellent website: Bemuso

Re: Vinyl re-issues/pressing

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:12 am
by Nosdivadnivek
Hi Andy

Thanks for your speedy response. I was looking at a limited manufacture license which allows a small production and covers MCPS and PPL. Which according to your link covers royalties and licensing? So with that, I would only require permission from the record label to make the product and to reproduce the artwork?