Page 1 of 1

Are permission licences from different services equal?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm
by arctic

Some publishers, like Elsevier for example, direct you to the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) website when you want to acquire permissions for using their content but PLSClear offers services for the same material with similar forms. The process of acquiring a permission on the website of some publishers recquire you to send images you want to use through fax...

I would like to know, if permission licences issued by CCC, PLSClear or directly acquired from publishers are equally valid everywhere.

Many, thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm
by AndyJ
Hi arctic,

The simple answer is no.

Copyright Collection Societies (also known as Rights Management Organisations) are usually nationally based, although they usually will have reciprocal arrangements with CCSs in other countries. In European countries the CCSs are generally monopolies which require their members to sign exclusive representation agreements. However in the USA there can be several CCSs covering the same types of work, eg music recordings, books etc.

If you wish to licence the use of something published by Elsevier (in the USA for example) you would need to check that the licence you were being offered covered you to use the work or part of it while you are in Slovenia, or indeed anywhere else outside the USA. However, it is equally possible that a CCS in Slovenia might have an arrangement with one of the US CCSs such as the Copyright Clearance Center or directly with Elsevier, to issue you with a local licence.

Like Slovenian copyright law, I have no knowledge of the CCSs which operate in Slovenia, and so you might have to google to find the correct one to ask.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:31 pm
by arctic
Hi AndyJ,

you helped me a lot! Thanks! :)