Re-creating album/single covers as greetings cards

Advice for those new to the concepts of copyright
sevenravenarmy
New  Member

Re-creating album/single covers as greetings cards

Post by sevenravenarmy »

I apologise in advance if this sort of thing has been covered previously.

I enjoy crafts and often hand-make greetings cards to give to friends and family members. I recently created a card in the style of a well-known rock single cover and wondered if such things could be sold commercially without infringement becoming an issue?

To be clear, no element - logo, imagery nor text - of the original cover is present on the card, rather they have been adapted to suit whatever the application may be (i.e. the name of the single changed to an occasion-specific message or the constituent parts of the logo changed to reflect either the occasion or recipient). All of the fonts used are free for commercial use in this context.

In summary - is something being so obviously 'in the style of' enough to make copyright a problem?

Any advice will be very gratefully received.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Re: Re-creating album/single covers as greetings cards

Post by AndyJ »

Hi sevenravenarmy,

Well, there are certainly quite a few threads on here about re-purposing album covers, this being the most recent. But I'm not at all clear about what you do want to reuse from these album/singles covers. You say
no element - logo, imagery nor text - of the original cover is present
If that is the case then I can't see any grounds for concern. The fact that you are not planning on selling these cards and they are only intended for friends and family, means that even if there was some infringing element included in the cards, the record companies are unlikely to find out about it.

So to answer your final question, something in the style of another work is unlikely to infringe that copyright if no element of the original is included in the new work.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007