Kodakone asking payment for copyright infrigement

If you are worried about infringement or your work has been copied and you want to take action.
MOGODONMAN867
New  Member

Re: Kodakone asking payment for copyright infrigement

Post by MOGODONMAN867 »

I have today had exactly the same demand from this company but asking for An absurd €1363.00 for an image used on a low-traffic non commercial website since 2013. The image appears to be owned by Getty Images so should I presume this demand is being done on their behalf or is it, as it seems, what amounts to blackmail.

They have not indicated who they are acting on behalf of and the clear implication is that they have the rights to it and are acting accordingly. What is to stop them plucking any website out of the air and targeting it in this way?

I would be interest to know how this has turned out for others targeted by this firm who are based in Berlin.

I have removed the image immediately and am contemplating how to respond.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Post by AndyJ »

Hi MOGODONMAN867,

As you will have seen from the other postings here, and in the similar threads about demands from Pixsy and PicRights, their standard method is to ask a high fee, and then drop it down if the person they are going after stands up to them and is prepared to negotiate a fairer settlement. They probably are working on behalf of Getty, although they should have stated who the actual owner of the copyright was. If you can find the same image on Getty, use the standard fee that Getty charges to calculate the basis of your counter-offer, if you decide to deal with them.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007
MOGODONMAN867
New  Member

Post by MOGODONMAN867 »

Thanks for this advice. I agree that they should state who they are acting for. They claim that a company called AVALON, who I have never heard of and cannot find on the internet, own the copyright which Getty Images also claim they own.