PICRIGHTS LETTER FOR INFRINGEMENT

If you are worried about infringement or your work has been copied and you want to take action.
AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Re: PICRIGHTS LETTER FOR INFRINGEMENT

Post by AndyJ »

Hi Blossom,

Thanks for clarifying the way you have used the logo. It doesn't really change anything. The problem with this company, and other claims management companies which operate in a similar manner, is that they tend to only pursue claims which they think will make them easy money; if you were a big international brand they wouldn't come anywhere near you because they know it would be futile.

I can't give you legal advice here and what you decide to do must be based on a) your appetite for risk and b) how much hassle you are prepared to put up with until they back off.

If I was in a similar position I would send them a short email saying that I thought that their claim was totally without merit, and at best would be seen by a court as de minimis as it is recognised standard practice to use newspaper logos as identifiers in this way, and since the amount being claimed is so utterly disproportionate and oppressive, it borders on something which falls within section 21 of the Theft Act 1968. As a consequence, I do not intend to have any further dealings with them and look forward to seeing how they will seek to justify such an outrageous claim in court.

If you were to use something similar as your reply I would not include the actual link to the law - let them look it up for themselves, as it might improve their legal education.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007
Blossom
New  Member

Re: PICRIGHTS LETTER FOR INFRINGEMENT

Post by Blossom »

Thank you so much for your help. I will keep you updated.