Page 1 of 1

what do we do, we have been robbed!!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 pm
by justin wiggan
A certain university has used my partners photography for the front of its art and design prospectus with out even asking, these have been printed and are also online.

Whilst my partner has been credit for taking the photo there was no fee or discussion to say this was happening. When approached about it, they have just refferred to thier head of marketing saying he will be in touch. He has not.

What should we do next ?


:x :x :x :?: :?: :?:

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am
by CopyrightAid
In the first instance, send a cease and desist letter (if you think they will take you seriously). If you do not receive satisfaction (or if you wish to claim damages) go see a solicitor and start legal action.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:30 am
by justin wiggan
hi, sorru to be ignorant but i am new to this....what is a cease and desist letter and is there templates? will sending an invoice charging for the use work?


Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm
by CopyrightAid
A cease and desist letter is basically where you notify the other party in writng of the dicovered infringement and ask them to remove all infringing materials withing a certain time (i.e. 14 days) and threaten legal actio if they do not comply.

In this case, it sounds like you want payment, so I would take this to a solicitor. That will also show that you mean business.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau / Business Advice Centre should be able to recommend a solicitor locally, and he/she will be able to advise you on the best action to take.
Normally this would start with a solictor's letter stating your demands, and if not met escalate to an injunction and/or county court hearing.

Don't stress though - once they see you mean business they will probably want to come to an amicable agreement.

mmmm... I wonder if the local newspaper would consider this newsworthy? That normally 'focuses' the mind. :twisted: