Cartoon from Punch 1908

Tracing copyright owners and asking permission.
Grampy
New  Member

Cartoon from Punch 1908

Post by Grampy » Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am

Hi

I am writing an academic textbook and want to incorporate a cartoon first published in Punch in 1908, called 'The Caravan Craze' The artist, George Morrow, died in 1955, so I presume copyright still exists under the 70 year rule..

Although I have found copies of the cartoon for sale as framed pictures, I can't trace who holds copyright in the original. It isn't on the Punch website, nor can I find it in the British Library collection.

Any suggestions?

AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Re: Cartoon from Punch 1908

Post by AndyJ » Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Grampy,

Yes I think it would be wise to assume that the cartoon is still in copyright. As for tracing the current owner of the rights, as you have searched the British Library archive and www.punch.co.uk without success, the only other place I can suggest is the Gale archive. The way the original Punch content was divided up between the various parties is somewhat confusing, and so I don't know whether there are any other repositories which you could search. If the Gale archive gets you no further, I would suggest contacting the British Library and trying to speak to/correspond with the curator of their Punch collection as that person will no doubt have some knowledge about the other parts of the total archive.

If all that fails to produce a source from whom you can obtain a licence, you may need to conduct a diligent search to try to find the heirs of George Morrow. There is an entry on the Probate search website for a George Morrow of Thaxted, Essex who died on 18 Jan 1955 but I have no idea if this is the artist of the cartoon. If it was, probate was granted to Arthur Graham Blunt, solicitor, and Mabel Smith spinister. Ultimately if you cannot trace any copyright owner following a reasonably diligent search, you could apply for an orphan works licence from the Intellectual Property Office which would allow you to re-publish the cartoon without incurring liability for infringement.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007

Grampy
New  Member

Re: Cartoon from Punch 1908

Post by Grampy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:56 pm

That's a very helpful response! Thank you very much.

I'll pursue this as you suggest.

Grampy