Using Album Artwork on a Website

'Is it legal', 'can I do this' type questions and discussions.
Dan_Z
New  Member

Using Album Artwork on a Website

Post by Dan_Z » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi,

I'm after some advice please if possible?

I'm looking to set up a Website that is going to be music based and was hoping people using the site could upload artwork from albums/singles.

It's not going to be a review site so there will be no bad reviews about any of the music listed but I am hoping to become an affiliate for iTunes so will hopefully be making a small profit of any music listed.

Where do I stand with Copyright law if a low-res copy of the artwork is used. The only thing the site will be doing really is promoting the music for the artists.

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Post by AndyJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Dan,
Technically using images of album covers would infringe copyright, but I think that since, in practice, this is done so widely on fan sites, and sites actually selling physical media, as well as digital download sites you should probably be OK, especially if you stick to low resolution images, ie thumbnails. If in doubt you could contact the major record labels and get blanket permission, which shouldn't be too difficult since as you say you will be promoting the music you feature. As an added precaution it might be worth putting a copyright acknowledge on your website.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007

Dan_Z
New  Member

Post by Dan_Z » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 pm

AndyJ wrote:Hi Dan,
Technically using images of album covers would infringe copyright, but I think that since, in practice, this is done so widely on fan sites, and sites actually selling physical media, as well as digital download sites you should probably be OK, especially if you stick to low resolution images, ie thumbnails. If in doubt you could contact the major record labels and get blanket permission, which shouldn't be too difficult since as you say you will be promoting the music you feature. As an added precaution it might be worth putting a copyright acknowledge on your website.
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll look into contacting the major labels.

I doubt they'll be too bothered for such a small site but you never know, we could end up being the next Facebook :roll: