Using images from Google colouring pages as for craft items.

Advice for those new to the concepts of copyright
Debbie
New  Member

Using images from Google colouring pages as for craft items.

Post by Debbie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm

I am thinking of setting up a new craft business where I make pictures for childrens bedrooms using felt. :D I have made several of these already but have only ever given them as gifts. Currently I have used Google colouring pages as my patterns, which I have just download from free websites but have used images such as Micky Mouse, R2D2, Club Penguin, Spiderman, Batman and other commercial characters. I believe that as I haven't made any profit and have given them as a gift and have only made one of each of these items I have not broken any Copyright laws. Nor have I stated that the images are mine only the finished article made from felt. (I hope :oops: )

However I have just made a facebook page, at the moment just to get a feel to see if people would be interested in buying these pictures but to cover myself I have put a notice up saying that for the time being I won't be making commercial characters until I understand the Copyright laws and will only be doing things around hobbies and interests, ie a dancer, a karate person, a butterfly etc. :?

What is the law for using a colouring page, especialyl commerical characters or tv characters, using it for my pattern and then selling the finish felt picture framed :?: [/b]

AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Post by AndyJ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Debbie,
I don't know exactly which colouring pages you are using, but if the sites are reputable, then they are probably providing the images of cartoon characters etc under licence from the rights owners, and colouring them in, or as in your case using another material to reproduce the images, should conform with the licence as long as it is for personal use. However I very much doubt if the licences would cover any kind of commercial exploitation. Any site where you download the free images should have some terms and conditions, or a page with the legal stuff on, and this should explain what can and can't be done with their images.
It just so happens that the rights to characters you mentioned are owned by some of the most litigious and brand savvy companies around (Disney Corporation, LucasFilm and DC Comics) so if you start selling your pictures featuring their trade marked characters you can expect a cease and desist letter quite quickly. By sticking to generic figures you should be safe, though, as I assume you don't want to get involved in licensing the TV and other characters at this stage.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007

Debbie
New  Member

Post by Debbie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Thank you - I just type in to google, for example, Spider Man colouring and loads of pictures appear. Then print one off that doesn't appear to have copy right. But as I previously said the ones I have done so far have all been gifts and not sold or any profit made. But that is what I was wondering if I sold them in the future. I couldn't afford to take out any licencing at the moment as this would be a very low key business. I am struggling with the affects of a chronic illness and therefore can only make one picture once every couple of weeks or if feeling well once a week. It is more of a hobby rather than a business. Copyright is a very confusing business.