Is it legal to use inspirational quotes in personal website?

'Is it legal', 'can I do this' type questions and discussions.
anil2941985@gmail.com
New  Member

Is it legal to use inspirational quotes in personal website?

Post by anil2941985@gmail.com » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:52 am

Is it legal to use inspirational quotes, love quotes that are viral on social sites, in my personal website? will it be a copyright infringement?

AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Post by AndyJ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi anil,

When you describe these things that you want to quotes as having gone viral, it suggests that the name of the original author may have become lost, if indeed it was even known. This is a problem because, whilst new Regulations make it possible to quote other people in the way you would like to do, this is only seen as fair dealing if the originator is credited. One possible way round this snag lies in the phrase from the Regulations, highlighted here:
the quotation is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement (unless this would be impossible for reasons of practicality or otherwise).
Your guess is as good as mine about what circumstances might meet this level of 'impossibility'.

On the plus side, people who are not writing for a living probably won't be too concerned about their words being quoted or re-tweeted, since this is fairly widely accepted practice. A problem usually only arises where someone else tries to monetise things that they have gathered in this way. A non-literary example of this can be seen in the case of The Dress phenomenon that went viral early last year.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007