WW2 Naval Publication Maps

Tracing copyright owners and asking permission.
MrsTwosheds

WW2 Naval Publication Maps

Post by MrsTwosheds » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi guys

Hoping you can help with this one, please. It’s hugely different to my usual area of questioning and I have no idea where to start!

I have been asked to help collate information for a friend who is writing her father’s memoirs. The chap concerned was in the Royal Navy and, although he had quite a few pictures of his own, we’ve run aground on the maps front. There are several useful ones in an ancient HMSO publication entitled ‘East of Malta, West of Suez’ which was published in 1943 and is an Admiralty account of that part of WW2. I’m not sure whether, as it was published 75 years ago on behalf of what is essentially part of one of HM forces, it is still within copyright and, if it is, who we might apply to for permissions (HMSO? The Admiralty?). Would be so grateful for any help, please.

Also, we have found another map in a book (The Russian Convoys by B.B. Schofield) printed in 1964 by Batsford. The author died in 1984, so I’m guessing we’d need permission to use the map. I assume that we just launch ourselves at Batsford and beg?

Please help as am all at sea (ooh....pun not intended!).

Very many thanks as always.

Best regards

Sally

AndyJ
Oracle
Oracle

Re: WW2 Naval Publication Maps

Post by AndyJ » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi Sally,

Naval maps. Since the document was published by HMSO on behalf of the Admiralty, almost certainly Crown copyright will apply. Assuming that the work was published commercially (ie sold by HMSO), then copyright protection ceased to apply on 31 December 1993, that being 50 years since the end of the year in which it was first published. If you encounter any other Crown copyright documents that you would like to use but are not sure if they have been published commercially or if so, when, you can contact the Ministry of Defence (Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights) (email: DIPR-CC@mod.uk) which has delegated powers to authorise the use most of the material created by the three Services and the MOD itself (much more detail about this here (pdf).

Russian Convoys. Yes I think the first point of contact should be the publishers, since the artist who created the maps for the book may well still be alive.

As ever, good luck with the project.
Advice or comment provided here is not and does not purport to be legal advice as defined by s.12 of Legal Services Act 2007

MrsTwosheds

Re: WW2 Naval Publication Maps

Post by MrsTwosheds » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi Andy

Thank you so much for your speedy and knowledgeable reply - you really are a marvel (as Bertie Wooster would say!).

I shall pass on the good news regarding the HMSO publication to my friend and get to grips with Batsford. Very many thanks again as always.

Best regards

Sally