Singing in public as a freelance musician

Copyright matters affecting music and musicians.
Post Reply
New Member
New  Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Somerset, UK

Singing in public as a freelance musician

Post by GirlClown »

Hello! This site is new to me. On behalf of my daughter - who is a budding singer (bars, clubs, etc) - I'd be grateful if you could confirm whether or not she needs to conform to any copyright laws in order to sing 'covers'.

Her work is not currently recorded or videod (except by a friend and, sometimes, by myself) - but this may change.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated as she obviously does not want to get into any legal wrangle over copyright laws.

Many thanks
User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Post by CopyrightAid »

Legally, the act of performing a copyright work (i.e. music/song) is a restricted act and subject to consent of the copyright owner.

In reality this is not too onerous however, as organisations/venues where music is performed can apply for a license from the PRS ( ). Venues that host events should be licensed, so this is not something that the performer normally needs to worry about (but if in doubt check with the venue).

The recording of the performance may need more care though (again the PRS may be able to advise further if you contact them). Realistically, the issue with recordings is if you then distribute the recording (i.e. sell copies, make available for download, give away or lend) - that would need permission from copyright owner(s) and should expect to pay royalties on every copy distributed.
Post Reply