Website

'Is it legal', 'can I do this' type questions and discussions.
ccpoetry
New  Member

Website

Post by ccpoetry » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Is it possible to get copyright for the content of a website that I create myself? I write poetry and want to put it on a website but wondered if i can just copyright everything already on the website, and anything that I will continue to add at a later date? Or do I have to copyright each individual poem before I put it on the site? Thanks.

CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CopyrightAid » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:09 pm

OK. First we should clarify something: Copyright exists from the point that you first record your work - so as soon as you write your poem you have copyright. This is your automatic right as the author.

I can understand the desire to get some additional 'cover' for yourself, after all the problem with an automatic right is when someone publishes one of your poems and claims that they wrote, how do you prove it was yours? It has the potential to turn into a case of 'their word against yours'.
For this kind of protection, you probably want to speak to the UK Copyright Service I know they allow you to treat a collection of poems (etc) as a single registration, and they also have a registration update service that allows you to add more content as you go - that's not free, but it works out a lot cheaper than registering every item separately.