Can you reproduce an image of someone?

Advice for those new to the concepts of copyright
briandevlin
New  Member

Can you reproduce an image of someone?

Post by briandevlin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:06 pm

I have an idea for some satirical cartoons, greeting cards etc which rely on politicians past and present. If I use pictures of them which I have created/drew but it was obvious that it was this person, making no reference to them by name. Could I get into trouble?

Also, when it comes to my copyrighting this material, can I copyright the actual gag or is it just the particular image and the words used alongside it?

CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CopyrightAid » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi briandevlin, and welcome to the forum

Can you get into trouble?
It is quite uncommon, but if the 'victim' of your cartoons believed your cartoon was defamatory they could potentially take legal action and claim for damages. There is a good page about this subject on
http://www.yourrights.org.uk that I suggest you read.

The cartoon - the image with the words alongside it, does constitute a copyright work. The fact that you have created (drawn) the pictures yourself means that you are the copyright owner. That is your automatic right as the creator of the work. If you feel the cartoon has commercial value you may also want to lodge it with the UKCS to be on the safe side before you send it to would-be publishers, etc.