An author quotes someone - who owns the copyright?

'Is it legal', 'can I do this' type questions and discussions.
Ben
New  Member

Post by Ben » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Greetings!

A book published in 1950 quotes what was said to him by another party and also a 19th Century manuscript. The author's works are definitley still in copyright. His informant and the writer of the manuscript both died more than 70 years ago. Is it lawful for me to republish the text of the manuscript and the quoted words of the informant without seeking the copyright holder's permission.

Any guidance in this matter would be most welcome.

With my regards

Ben

CopyrightAid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CopyrightAid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:24 am

Hi Ben

Copyright exist from the point that the work is first fixed in a tangible manner.

In the case of the person writing down what has been said, I believe that it is the writer who holds copyright, as he created the tangible work.

In the case of the manuscript, clearly the writer was just quoting the manuscript and therefore cannot claim copyright to it, (copyright would belong to the writer of the original manuscript).

So... In the case of the 19 century manuscript, you have no problem quoting the original. In the case of the recorded verbal quotes I believe these would still be subject to copyright and permission should be sought.

Ben
New  Member

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Greetings!

Thank you for this, it is very instructive and helpful.

With my best wishes

Ben